Last Updated on May 22, 2021 by Daniel
Once in a while, clients may have to disable the USB ports on a PC or laptop to forestall gadget association. The activity can be particularly valuable in workplaces as it forestalls the unapproved replicating of sensitive information. Below, we’ve highlighted few ways on how to enable and disable the USB ports on a PC as well as a laptop, and hope this works well for you.
Impairing USB ports likewise hold an organization back from getting tainted with infections or other malware.
Tip: If you need to enable USB ports on your PC, follow the means underneath, yet pick the enable choice as opposed to disable choice where applicable.
How to Enable and Disable the USB Ports
Disable the USB ports through BIOS setup
- Enter the BIOS setup.
- Once in the BIOS setup environment, check the menus for a choice to empower or incapacitate the locally available USB ports.
- Ensure all USB choices and Legacy USB support alternatives are disabled or off.
- Save and leave the BIOS subsequent to rolling out the improvements. Typically, the F10 key is utilized to save and exit.
- After the PC has rebooted, check the USB ports to ensure they are turned off or disabled.
Disabling USB in Windows
In the event that your PC’s BIOS setup just permits you to disable a few or none of the USB ports and you are running Windows XP or later, at that point use the following.
Note: The means below edit the Windows registry. Know that changing any qualities inappropriately can make blunders or Windows not boot.
Tip: The means beneath possibly cripple any USB storage device from consequently opening or running when associated with the PC (e.g., flash drive). USB gadgets like the console and mouse still work.
- Access the Run box or the Search box in the Windows Start menu.
- Open the Windows library by typing regedit in the Run or Search box.
- In the Registry Editor, open the accompanying folder.
- In the USBSTOR, find the Start DWORD and double tap “Start” to edit the value. Change the Value data to “4” and afterward click Ok.
- When finished, close the Registry Editor. Windows will presently don’t start the USB gadget when identified.
Tip: If you need to enable the USB ports, follow the means above. Notwithstanding, in sync 4, change the worth of the Start DWORD to a “3”.
Note: The means above possibly work if the USB stockpiling driver has effectively been introduced. In the event that the USB stockpiling driver has not been introduced, the worth gets reset back to 3 while associating a USB storage gadget and Windows introduces the drivers.
You generally can’t detach the USB ports from a motherboard. Nonetheless, USB ports on the front or top of the PC can be disengaged by unplugging from the USB header. Detaching these USB ports can be useful in keeping clients from effectively connecting USB gadgets without going to the back of the PC.
Tip: Some motherboards may likewise have jumpers to disable USB.
People also ask
How do I enable USB ports blocked by an administrator?
Empower USB Ports through Device Manager
- Snap the Start button and type “gadget administrator” or “devmgmt.msc” (without cites) into the Start Search box. Press “Enter.”
- Snap “Universal Serial Bus regulators” to see a rundown of USB ports on the PC.
- Click each USB port, at that point click “Enable.” If this doesn’t re-empower the USB ports, right-click each again and select “Uninstall.”
- Restart the PC. Windows naturally examine the framework and reinstall the erased USB regulators.
Enable USB Ports through Registry
- Snap the Start button and type “regedit” (without quotes) into the Start Search box. Press “Enter.”
- Snap “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | USBSTOR.”
- Double-tap “Start” in the right sheet. In the window that opens, enter “3” in the Value Data field.
- Snap “ok” to re-empower the USB ports.
How do I turn off USB on Android?
Right-click on the unavailable gadget – inward/outer hard drive, USB or SD card, and so forth and select “Format”. Reset the file framework, mark name, and so on unavailable gadgets and snap “Start“. Snap OK to reset the blocked-off gadgets to plant settings and tackle the “Access Denied” blunder.
How do I turn off USB on Android?
In Android variants, 3.0 and higher, open the Settings menu, pick “USB Utilities” and turn off USB storage to utilize MTP all things being equal.
The undertaking of disabling or enabling the USB port on your system is simple on the off chance that you know the right technique. In any case, in the event that you don’t have a clue about the right technique to carry out this task, you may wind up harming your system. In such a case, you should endeavor to reach out to a professional for assistance.